Friday, December 19, 2014

The Old Cities Part Two: Panama Viejo

Panama Viejo, the original city, was formed in the 1519 by the conquistador Pedrarías Dávila, but it was ransacked and burned in 1671 by Captain Henry Morgan, an infamous pirate. The ruins are surrounded by a lush green landscape which starkly contrasted the snow and ice I was navigating less than a week prior in Abilene, Texas. The heat and humidity was the best shock to my system! Walking around the ruins in the afternoon sunlight with the city skyline in the background extenuated the difference between the past and present.

During our exploration of the ruins I discovered I have a fear of heights. This was an odd discovery for me to make as I have climbed mountains, repelled off cliffs, zip lined through canyons, and love to cliff dive, but walking up four stories in the tower of the cathedral had me gripping the hand rail and clutching my new Panama hat. Despite being scared, the view of the city, distant mountains, ocean and islands off made it worth it.

However, one of my favorite parts about going to Panama Viejo has to be the company that joined me. Jessica and her neighbor Bolivar. I have known Jessica since I was 9 years old and this was our first opportunity to explore the world together, and Bolivar is the cutest and most considerate gentleman (it was like spending the day with my foreign grandpa) who happened to be an excellent tour guide and language coach.

The trees in Panama are sometimes overrun by Strangler Fig roots.

The tower we climbed to the top of.

Some of the stones from this monastery were used in the construction of Casco Viejo. 


Scary staircase in the tower!

View from the tower


What can I say I love ruins and wells! So I climbed in the well!



Bolivar is in the left corner! Panama Viejo is exquisite. 






No comments:

Post a Comment