Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunshine at Stonehenge and Bath

This Friday the Central College group ventured out to Stonehenge and Bath for the day. Upon arrival to Stonehenge I was surprised how it is a lot smaller than I had expected even when I had been told that it would be smaller than you think; it still took be by surprise. It was really cool though. They moved those large stones over two hundred miles and then they still had to position them. It made me wonder how many people got squished in the process...not a pleasant thought but still intriguing to think about how they accomplished the task. Besides the actual stone structure there were other interesting things to observe also. There were many small mounds scattered among the rolling hills surrounding Stonehenge, and these were ancient burial grounds and all around them were grazing sheep.
After that we moved onto the next phase of our journey, Bath. On the bus ride there I decided to eat my orange I packed for myself...now this started off going well a delicious orange treat after walking around outside on what is an record high day in London, but it would have been a cool front for Texas. Suddenly however, my leg started to feel irritated and then it began to burn extremely bad; the peel of the orange had been sitting in my lap and had started to burn my legs. I threw away the orange and washed off my legs but the burning persisted and grew worse for the next forty or so minutes. Fish was trying to distract me by playing twenty questions with me until we arrived in Bath, and then the miracle of Bath occurred. As soon as we arrived the burning stopped immediately, unfortunately I still have a lovely red rash where the orange peel was, but it's slowly healing.
When we got to Bath we took a self guided audio tour of the premises. I thought it was very interesting and my favorite part besides viewing the pools was seeing these tiny metal sheets people would write curses on and through them into the hot springs to inspire the God Minerva to seek revenge on their wrongdoers. It would have been incredible to see it in its heyday and actually get to use its pools. After taking my time in the museum and looking around I went and walked around the city of Bath, got some food and walked across one of three bridges in the world that is lined with shops still in existence.
The day was filled with beautiful sites and was a break from the big city, and was just what I needed to start my weekend off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment