Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Fish and Chips with Vinegar

October 15th
It is Saturday, which means a family meal for the three musketeers…or Fish, Chips and Vinny. Our new nickname was inspired by the British meal of Fish and Chips(fries) which are typically salted and have vinegar on them (a little gross right??) Anyways so Fish (Sarah Fisher) has had that nickname for quite some time…then comes my nickname, Chips, spurred from my love of the chips served at the Strutton Fish and Chips shop or because Fish and I spend a lot of time together and people had to come up with a nickname, either way I like it. Then we encountered a dilemma, Dan, the person who makes up the other 33.3% of our group was nickname less. After some brainstorming in the kitchen it was decided he would be Vinegar shortened to Vinny. Dan LOVES his nickname haha. Moving on now…that morning we went a market that Cobie had somehow stumbled across, I don’t know how she found it because it is kind of in the middle of a residential area that most people don’t wander around. There we bought some of the ingredient for the delicious meal I was planning for that evening. After that Fish and I snuck off to Hamley’s (any child’s dream toy shop I even think it is magical) in search of pin-wheels for Fall Break…confused?? Let me explain…Vinny has a particular hatred for the car insurance commercial that has the adorable pig that says WEEE!!! All the way home. Here is a link to refresh your memory:
So we devised a spectacular plan to get pin-wheels and surprise Vinny on Fall Break with them…pulling them out when exciting things happened. However, Hamley’s did not have any pin-wheels…what toy shop doesn’t carry an essential like pin-wheels?? After failing to find pin-wheels we returned to Vandon House comforting ourselves with delicious chips from Strutton (our tradition Saturday lunch, I know it’s super healthy). These chips are amazing and I think it’s because they are fried in the same oil as the fish which gives them amazing flavour (which isn’t fishy) and they are cooked perfectly…the plan is to marry the owner and have him open up shop in America so we can have these chips whenever we want. Sounds good right?
Dinner that evening was delicious. It consisted of chicken enchiladas, fruit salad and chocolate tres leches. The fruit salad was amazing. The chicken enchiladas were a bit spicy, but I had to find substitutes for my normal ingredients…overall though I thought the turned out pretty good. Now the chocolate tres leches…called for a lot of substitution but it tasted oh so good. We knew it was good because you could taste how bad it was for your body with every bite, but that didn’t stop you from continuing to finish the cake!! I love good food!

No comments:

Post a Comment