Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Walking Where Time Begins

I know I have not posted in some time, but that is due to a schedule that is becoming ever increasingly busy. So here we go…beginning to play the catch up game.

Last week well…where to begin. Ah yes, I left off with my race in the park. That Wednesday October 5th I had my internship again and after that the Shakespeare class attended Tartuffe by Moliere. I was quite excited about seeing this play because after reading the script I was interested in hearing the witty banter ensue. However, I was disappointed with the show. I think since I have started taking this class I have become highly critical of performances…in class we examine what we see on stage and compare it to the text and what we thought should have been done with the script. This critical eye of plays is very new to me since I normally just sit back and enjoy the performance knowing I most likely could never do what they are doing. Anyways, back to Tartuffe; the play is filled with hilarious conversations between the characters, and most of it is intellectually comedic. In the performance though I felt like they dumbed it down for the audience and tried to get laughs from cheap or crude humour instead. Also the set and lighting was distracting to me…too many mirrors. Onto Thursday, I have classes from 9:00 to 4:00 basically, (or as it is said here 9:00 to 16:00) but the good news is I found a group for my advertising class project, so that was a relief!! Friday I showed Dan and Fish around Hoxton (the area my internship is located in), we ate good food, found yummy fruit, and bought groceries for our Saturday night dinner which Dan prepared. The rest of the weekend was spent indoors resting because the cold that has swept across London got a hold of me. Dan did cook for Fish and I; the menu consisted of cheeseburgers which were very good, sweet potato wedges, some cucumber salad thing, and a blueberry cheese desert…now the desert was interesting not like a sweet desert but more savoury and the cucumber salad was very different from anything I had ever had before so I’m still on the fence about it.
Now we are up to October 10th which is a Monday and that consists of Shakespeare class!! So we had class and discussed our mutual dislike of Tartuffe, and then that night we went to hear the King James Bible being read. It was beautiful. The set was simplistic so it would not take away from the powerful stories being told. They read the stories of David, and I just loved it.  
Tuesday and Wednesday…internship time again, and this week consisted of lot’s of marketing research about the mugs, designing, and getting in contact with our contact at the mug retailer. In other words, it was a bit stressful and I was still feeling under the weather, but I survived!!
October 13th, Thursday…a day filled with classes from 9am to 4pm. The morning classes are dreadfully boring at times, however, unlike last week Fish and I were determined to sit in the back so we took the stairs at
Goodge Street
tube station. For those of you who don’t know that is a spiralling staircase of 136 steps plus some…which creates an intense burn in the muscles. But we were successful and claimed the back row of the classroom ensuring at least a bit more of an entertaining class! Now onto my afternoon advertising class, I have a group for the class research project but they have some severe trust issues with new members. Hopefully I can prove them wrong. And in the evening I am attending a performance of the Royal Philharmonic at Cadogan Hall, and it was beautiful…I just sat back closed my eyes and enjoyed the music washing over me. The violin soloist was amazing yet very scary at times because she became so intense with the music, and it seemed like she was trying to conduct between her solo…but I loved every minute of it and think I may go back and hear another performance!
Now onto Friday…the reason why this post has its title. We went to Greenwich which is literally where time starts! We took a boat along the Thames to get there and oh my word was it very chilly on the river. When we arrived we hiked to the top of this massive hill and at the top you can visit a museum filled with telescopes and other interesting devices having to do with time and space. But the main event was being able to walk along the Prime Meridian! Cobie and I once again lost the group, big surprise there…I feel like I always lose them because I get distracted by things, but eventually we found them and ventured onto the National Maritime Museum. I loved the museum, but then again I love the ocean and boats and basically anything to do with a salty body of water. I’m planning on going back to check it out in more detail because everyone was hungry and they wanted to go get food and who could blame them…however, I didn’t want to leave but I could spend all day there haha so I tore myself away from the boats and trinkets found in the ocean and headed to lunch. We ate at the “best tex-mex place in London” well if that is the best they have…that’s just sad. The food was ok at best, but I think growing up in Texas has spoiled me with good Mexican food and ruined my ability to accept mediocre Mexican food. After the meal, I decided I would cook up some real yummy enchiladas and chocolate tres leches during our weekly family meal on Saturday. We went to a crafts and antiques market where I bought a very bright green hat for fall Break and looked at all the vintage clothing and interesting trinket the vendors had to offer…Now exhausted from the excursion of the day we headed back on the DLR which is and I nearly fell asleep on the way home, and I did take a lovely nap when I got back to my bed!!

I am so sorry for the delay in posting since some of these events took place nearly a month ago, but better late than never…there is more to come as I catch up on all the adventures I have had.  

No comments:

Post a Comment