Sunday, December 4, 2011

“Dear Boss, ….Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper”

This week was filled with events out of the ordinary…On Monday, November 7, we went to the museum for Shakespeare class to look at the artwork from the period during Shakespeare’s life to see what the influences were like. Most of the artwork was religiously centered and it is amazing that some of the stuff has survived for so long in such quality.

Then the next evening, Tuesday, after my internship I made my way back to Vandon after finishing early. The weather was cold and the rain was spitting…the darkness combined with the light clouded with mist made it an eerie night in London’s East End. We had a walking tour through the Whitechapel area where Jack the ripper once spread terror through with his gruesome murders. Our tour guide, the same one we have had all semester is so animated and is a great story teller and actually appeared in the movie Love Actually. His stories and songs brought chills to my bones as I imagined the horrific murder scenes and the psycho who committed these murders, and all the speculations about who was Jack the Ripper or the Whitechapel Murderer. A particularly sinister letter received by the Police possibly from Jack the Ripper himself is quoted below for your pleasure:


Dear Boss,
I keep on hearing the police have caught me but they wont fix me just yet. I have laughed when they look so clever and talk about being on the right track. That joke about Leather Apron gave me real fits. I am down on whores and I shant quit ripping them till I do get buckled. Grand work the last job was. I gave the lady no time to squeal. How can they catch me now. I love my work and want to start again. You will soon hear of me with my funny little games. I saved some of the proper red stuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with but it went thick like glue and I cant use it. Red ink is fit enough I hope ha ha. The next job I do I shall clip the ladys ears off and send to the police officers just for jolly wouldn't you. Keep this letter back till I do a bit more work, then give it out straight. My knife's so nice and sharp I want to get to work right away if I get a chance. Good Luck.


Yours truly
Jack the Ripper


Henry V…in Guildford. Wednesday night I left straight from the Hoxton Trust and headed to Waterloo station to catch a train to Guildford. As I waited in the queue counting down the seconds til the train left….time quickly running out and the line moving slowly…Finally, I get my ticket and begin running toward the platform (all this with multiple bags, heals and a dress on, so basically very clumsily) and as I get to my platform I double check it is the right train…it is! So I sprint to the closing door thinking if it shuts on me it will just open back up like on the tube, no such luck. These doors just keep closing…on me this time; luckily a man standing near the door pushed back on the door allowing me to slide through…I did receive a good bruise down my right side, but I made my train. Once onboard I attempted to find a seat but it was so full so I resorted to sitting near the bike stowing area where I read my book and wrote in my journal for the next hour until finally I reached my stop. As I make my way out of the station I tried to find my bearings…looking at my map and the one near the station I head out thinking I know where I am going. Soon I realize I went the wrong way so I back track and end up asking multiple people before someone points me in the right direction. Once I know where I am supposed to be going I keep thinking I am lost, however, I actually managed to find the theater. The show was one of my favorites since I have been here; it was an all male company and they had interpreted the play in a unique manner. It was a group of soldiers who were bored so they decide to do some Shakespeare’s Henry V to pass the time. It was hilarious at time and the lighting was great…plus between scenes they would sing so it just made the show very entertaining and this helped a history play move along nicely because they tend to drag on. Overall the show was amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment