Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Rusty Pipe

Rusty pipe?? You many be wondering why I am referring to such an object...it has to do with an issue many distance runners experience, low iron levels/anemia. Recently, I have been experiencing this predicament which has left me extremely tired no matter how much sleep I get and it has been affecting the manner in which my body was responding to food. So, my coach mentioned that maybe my iron levels were low after I had begun to run horribly in practice on a semi regular basis. There are many ways to increase your consumption of iron...from the food you eat like red meat and spinach or you can take supplements in pill or liquid form. I happened to start taking the liquid kind because it absorbs the quickest into your bloodstream, and since it works faster I will be ready for Conference Saturday morning, hopefully!

Now for the explanation on the term "rusty pipe" which I cannot take credit for; Sarah Brown aka Porscha Chantel Jackson coined this phrase about two years ago when she began taking liquid iron. Rusty pipe with a hint of cherry is the flavor associated with drinking this lovely concoction. The taste doesn't leave your mouth easily either since there are a lot of foods and beverages you have to avoid in the hours prior to and after taking it. Basically, it is absolutely disgusting; however, I am starting to notice a difference in my energy levels and in my running...I'm no longer doing the death march at the end of practice!!!

Some facts that I found interesting about distance runners and iron levels:

  • Approximately 56% of runners suffer from an iron deficiency 
  • Red blood cells contain hemoglobin which helps in the transport of of oxygen throughout the body. If you have low iron levels you have fewer red blood cells and lower levels of hemoglobin, so you can see how this would negatively affect runners.
  • When you run distance "foot strike hemolysis" can occur which damages the red blood cells when your foot strikes the ground. That will add up quickly!
  • You can lose iron through sweating and in your intestines also. 

So as for my extreme hatred of the rusty pipe I drink each morning...I guess it will be worth it since I have discovered just how important iron is to running, and of course I want to win this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment