Friday, November 2, 2012

Roller-coaster Conference Championships


Conference…This year at conference our team experienced something many athletes have never experienced…at first we won, then four hours later we found out that we actually lost the meet, and finally two days after that our winning title was restored! An emotional roller-coaster is the closest analogy I can equate to the situation.

Going into the meet we knew that Concordia was our competition, so many of us, myself included, focused on beating any Concordia girls near us, but in the second half of the race I realized that there were a considerable number of Mississippi girls near the front too. When we finished we all thought we may have done it, we may have won the meet, and about 45 minutes later they posted the results…as we were running to where they posted the results the coaches we passed told us we had won the meet! Actually, we had tied with Mississippi College with 53 points each, so they had broken the tie by adding the sixth runner into the equation…our runner came in 20th while their runner came in 64th so we were awarded the championship!! I was so happy that we had won conference my senior year, it was all happy tears and hugs, and then there was the awards ceremony and picture taking! We got on the bus…went back to the hotel, showered, and as we got back on the bus to head back to Texas our coach broke the news to us that there was a new rule that breaks ties, and according to that rule Mississippi College had in fact won the meet. The rule now stated that ties were broken by comparing the first five runners head to head which turns the team sport of cross country into an individual competition…so I still do not agree with this rule. We had to stop a gas station and give back the trophy and banner, but they let us keep the champions shirts (I wanted to throw mine away). Basically, it felt like I had just been punched in the stomach…and I was just a mess due to the shock of winning then having it taken away…I couldn't even tell my family for two hours because I was so upset. I couldn't shake my disappointment all of Saturday, Sunday, and the majority of Monday. However, Monday afternoon I was walking to the locker room to start my afternoon workout when I passed by my coach and she casually mentions in passing that “oh by the way…we won after all” and started to walk off. After running after her she explained how we won the meet, again! The new rule actually doesn't go into effect until 2013! So we had in fact won the meet J

The ASC Conference meet was held in Clinton, Mississippi on the state’s official course which just so happens to be my favorite course I have ever run due to the rolling hills and the beautiful landscape. I ran this course my freshman year for conference and running it again for my last conference meet was really surreal. I got to see just how far I have come these past three and a half years. Freshman year I ran a PR at the time on that course of 26:16, and my senior year I again ran a PR of 23:52 on a course that is 6.1 kilometers…I cannot even express how incredible it is to realize how much I have grown as a runner over these past few years. I have gotten faster, but more importantly I have learned more about myself. I have one more college race in Atlanta, Georgia next Saturday for Regional’s…I still can’t believe this chapter is coming to an end so soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment