Thursday, March 13, 2014

Rhythm and Blues!!

Part of my job is assisting in the planning and preparation for the Rhythm and Blues Half Marathon and 5K. This year it took place on February 9, 2014. As someone who has raced in numerous road races and countless cross country and track meets I suppose my standards for a good race are slightly high. I like having water at the finish line; I have had cold, wet towels placed on my neck after scorching races, so I suppose I am a spoiled racer. However, this experience gave me a look at the flip side of races.

Months to almost a year goes into planning a running event….there are all sorts of details to work out too!! T-shirts is a big one: Cotton or tech shirt? Design, color, sizes, and how many?? All parts of the puzzle to figure out. Then there is marketing, medals, organizing volunteers, packet pick-up, vendors, sponsors, bands, security, and many other facets of the race to attend to.


I had no idea how much work went into planning an event for 4000 runners. The opportunity to work with Rhythm and Blues opened my eyes to the other side of competing. I have a much greater appreciation of races and the volunteers who make it happen, and I think anyone who competes in runs should volunteer at a race to get a taste of this. Also, while running is a rewarding experience so is putting on a race. Getting to put place medals around people's necks who had just finished their first half marathon and having them proceed to give you a sweaty hug while they have a huge smile across their face made me tear up numerous times. I was so proud of their accomplishment and was honored to get to be a part of that moment. The moment so many runners have had when they accomplish a distance or PR goal; the satisfaction in those moments is such a pure form of happiness. In the weeks following the race people would come into the store and thank us for putting on the event and remember me giving them their medal or cheering for them as they started their second loop. It was really a rewarding experience when I reflect on it, and was well worth the long hours put into it. 

We already have next year's date set for the fourth annual Houston Rhythm and Blues Half Marathon and 5K on February 15, 2014! http://www.rhythmandblueshalfmarathon.com/
I can't wait to see how much it grows next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment