Sunday, March 2, 2014

The First of Many Poems, Run

Running is a huge part of my life, but I also love poetry and literature. I have spent the past few months applying to Master's in creative writing programs around the country, and now I am waiting to hear back from the various colleges. So here is some of the poems I have been working on...I wrote this poem a few years ago but it is still one of my favorites!


Run

Every yesterday I ran,
it made my world better.
I ran to stay in shape;
to feel healthy from my soul to my bones.
I ran to rid myself of frustration
from power-hungry coaches
who succeed through my every step.

Today I run for new reasons
I run seeking the acceptance of uncomfortable truths
toward my first real decision.
I run to find the answer
to a choice that terrifies me.
I could stay with him forever
or run into the future alone.

I run forging my own trail;
my broken heart still pounding
as I sprint away from his concrete plans
shattering his high expectations.
Running releases me from his cage
and allows me to find freedom.
I am running.
That is my answer. 

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic Chelsea! I love the way it flows, something about it is like listening to a heart beat.
    It's lovely. You have a wonderful ability to have your audience feel what you feel.

    ReplyDelete